Friday, May 9, 2008

Yummy!!


Nick loves yogurt.   Especially if he is lucky enough to get this kind:

I bought a box at Costco, and he has been happily eating it for about two weeks.  Tonight he was eating some and said, "Mom, isn't it weird that this new kind of yogurt has strawberry and it also has blueberries in it?"  I was, of course cruising the internet and not paying much attention replied, "interesting."  He went on to say, but these blueberries taste really gross."   I went to look at the yogurt and find that is is filled with little round patches of mold.   Disgusting.   After further questioning, "blueberries" have been in all the yogurt in this box.  Apparently, Nick has been eating mold every day.  There are two left in a box of 16.   He said "oh well Mom, it tastes really good after all the blueberries are gone!" 


Warning:  Don't read any further if you like pink food!

Just a side note:  while getting this yogurt picture off the internet I came across this lovely tidbit.   Mold isn't the only gross thing in Nick's yogurt.    When you dig into a strawberry Yoplait yogurt, take a moment to contemplate where the beautiful pink color comes from. Strawberries? Think again. It comes from crushed bugs. Specifically, from the female cochineal beetles and their eggs. And it's not just yogurt. The bugs are also used to give red coloring to Hershey Good & Plenty candies, Tropicana grapefruit juice, and other common foods.
           

Oh, I saw something on a friend's blog that I liked, so I will copy it.  She puts three things she is thankful for at the bottom of each post.
1.  Nick
2.  Non-moldy yogurt
3.  yellow, blue or green food

6 comments:

ermakaluso said...

Gross! And now, you have probably caused major turmoil in our house. I won't be able to buy anymore food that is pink...and with three girls, that is going to cause some serious problems!

Tara said...

Sorry Marisa, I added a warning.

ermakaluso said...

No worries!! I did some more research on your information and found it on a few food items IN MY HOUSE and I can hardly believe it! I am thinking I'm going to have to be vegetarian (and only grow my own so I know what I'm eating). Not really, but I can't believe that is true!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Hilarious about the moldy yogurt and yet mildly freakish at the same time. The really picky eater Nick, choked down the blueberries for quite some time. That is really saying something. Tara...thank you for ruining the only semi-healthy snack food I enjoy!

erik said...

and I like it too.

erik said...

Mmm hmm.